Monday 30 May 2011

So ... what's my big news?

A couple of weeks ago I was invited to Allendale Forge Studios by Amanda Galbraith to discuss printmaking workshops and what I might be able to offer on that front. Three hours later I left with the strong prospect of a job. What followed was several meetings whilst Amanda and I worked out what this job would look like, how many hours it would entail and several other crucial details.

Last week my new job was confirmed. I am to be Art Project Coordinator, 3 days a week for The Allendale Forge Studios. On the remaining 2 days in the week I will have a brand new studio in which to make my work. One of my first tasks when I start the new job will be to equip the studio with printmaking and other workshop facilities for the space which will form part of a workshop hub. On 2 days a week this space will be for my exclusive use to continue my own practice. In between I will be able to hang my work and sell other items from there such as my cards and handmade notebooks.

It is true about the old adage one door closes and another one opens as long as you are open to the opportunities that might present themselves along the way. So there you have it. On Wednesday, I go back to paid employment, as in a salaried position, for the first time in 16 years.

Am I nervous? Yes, a bit. Am I excited? Yes very! I cannot believe I have landed with my bum so proverbially square in the butter. Will it be a challenge? Absolutely, and that is a good thing. Who'd want a job that was too comfortable. Wouldn't you get bored too quickly? I have 6 months to prove my worth. I don't intend to waste it.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...