Thursday 24 March 2011

A Collagraph Summer School


There have been many exciting developments in my life recently. Following months of despondency following my husband's redundancy and carrying around lots and LOTS and LOTS of ideas in my head I just couldn't see the wood for the trees. Two weeks ago I went on an excellent course that gave me the time and space to lay my ideas out on the table and think about what it was I wanted to do. Most importantly it gave me the courage to be prepared to allow some of them to see the light of day and test them out.

SO ... the collagraph printmaking summer school is PHASE ONE! What makes this one different from all the others I have been teaching for the last 10 years? 


The printmaking workshop is primarily (though not exclusively) for South African artists wishing to travel to the UK for the course. Why South African artists you may ask? Well, having re-established contact with an old friend Beth McAlpine via Facebook - we grew up together in Zambia - I discovered she too was an artist. Over the last year or so I discovered she was really excited by the printmaking I was doing and wanted to learn how to do it herself. She, however, lives in Johannesberg whilst I live in Northumberland and she has lots of artists friends in South Africa who she is confident would be interested in coming on such a workshop in the UK.

We are in the process of hatching a plan. We are organising a five day collagraph summer school here in the UK to which Beth plans to bring as many of her artist friends as she can muster in July or August. I have drawn up the course format and lined up accommodation, transport and meals.

This is a new departure because whilst in the past Horsley Printmakers has put on many a summer school or weekend workshop we have never concerned ourselves with creating an all in package that includes anything other than the workshop itself. Beth will be promoting the workshops amongst her friends and contacts in South Africa and organising flights. So for those coming from South Africa the price will include flights, accommodation, breakfast and lunch and transport to and from the accommodation and to and from Newcastle airport. 

However, the course is not exclusively for South African artists - it is open to anyone who is interested. The price for anyone else will exclude flights and transport to and from the airport  but will include accommodation, meals and transport to and from the studio to the accommodation. We are in the process of finalising dates and prices. I will post the details very soon. So, if you are interested let me know and I will update you when the details have been finalised.


2 comments:

Tart said...

I really found your blog about two posts ago and have just read the one you have put up today.
The new development of all-inclusive courses sounds great and I wish you every success with it.
(Sounds like the course you put yourself on was excellent if it enabled you to stand back from day-to-day worries and see what it is you really want to strive for)
Good luck!

Unknown said...

It sounds so GOOD! I wish, I wish, I wish... I can go!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...